- Apple Topping:
- 1 (20-ounce) can apple pie filling
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Brownie Cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for accompaniemnet
For Apple Topping: In a small bowl, stir together apple pie filling, lemon juice and cinnamon; set aside.
Heat oven to 375 F. Grease and flour 9-inch square baking pan.
For Brownie Cake: In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add water, shortening, egg and vanilla; beat until smooth and well blended. Spread into prepared pan. Carefully spoon Apple Topping evenly over chocolate batter, within 1/2-inch from edges; do not stir.
Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until chocolate is set. Cool completely in pan; cut into squares.
Serve topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, if desired.